VA Benefits

Find Your Benefit Program.

  • The Post-9/11 GI Bill is for individuals with at least 90 days of aggregate service or individuals discharged with a service-connected disability after 30 days on or after September 11, 2001. Veterans and active duty servicemembers, and their spouses and dependents may be eligible for these benefits. Under Chapter 33, the benefits you receive are determined by a number of factors, including the length of your qualifying active duty service, location of your campus, course mode and "rate of pursuit." For more information about the program or to determine your eligibility visit www.benefits.va.gov/gibill/. Please contact us to better understand how your enrollment at Strayer University may impact your level of benefits.

  • This is the Active Duty Educational Assistance Program, generally for individuals who entered active duty after June 30, 1985, and served continuously for three years or for individuals serving two years on active duty followed by four years of Selected Reserve. To be eligible, veterans must have contributed $1,200 during their first year of military service. Veterans or service personnel cannot withdraw money paid into the fund.

  • The Selected Reserve Educational Assistance Program is for members of the Reserve elements of the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps and the Air National Guard. To be eligible, reservists must have a six-year obligation to serve in the Selected Reserve signed after June 30, 1985. No contribution is required. The Department of Defense or Department of Homeland Security, determines eligibility for this program.

  • Educational assistance is available to spouses and children of veterans who died or are permanently and totally disabled as the result of a service-connected disability.

  • Vocational Rehabilitation for service-connected disability of 10% or greater provides a monthly stipend and covers the cost of tuition, books and supplies. Eligibility is determined on an individual basis.

  • This program is for individuals who entered active duty service between January 1, 1977 and June 30, 1985, and have contributed toward the education program.

About the Yellow Ribbon Scholarship.

How to Apply for VA Benefits.

You can see your remaining benefits for the year, apply for benefits and more at https://www.ebenefits.va.gov/. We've outlined the benefits application process for you below.

Step 1 Complete your application.

First, you will need to complete and submit one of the following forms, along with any supporting documentation indicated during the application process:

  • 22-1990 – Application for Educational Benefits form
  • 22-1995 – Request for Change of Program or Place of Training form
  • 22-5490 – Dependents' Application for VA Education Benefits form
  • 22-5495 – Dependents' Request for Change of Program or Place of Training form

You can download these forms from the Department of Veterans' Affairs web site at http://www.va.gov/vaforms. Students who have used their benefits at another school or institution must submit the Request for Change of Program or Place of Training form before they can begin using their benefits at Strayer University.

Step 2 Apply online, via mail or fax.

You may choose to apply for VA education benefits online through the VA Online Application System, or to download the forms and send them to the Department of VA via mail or fax. It takes approximately 10-12 weeks to process applications. Please wait at least 60 days after submitting your application to inquire about your status.

Step 3 Receive your Certificate of Eligibility

Once the Department of Veterans Affairs has determined your eligibility, you will receive a Certificate of Eligibility in the mail. You must submit a copy of the certificate to Student Financial Services at Strayer University.

Affordability From a School That Gets the Military.

Write Your Success Story.

Take Your Next Step

We’re here to help! Complete this form and a dedicated Admissions Officer will contact you shortly. Or call 888-311-0355 to talk to us now.

* All fields required

You must be an RN to enter the RN to BSN Program.

You consent to receive autodialed marketing calls or text from Strayer at the phone number you provided. Consent is not required to purchase goods or services. You can always call us at 866-314-3547.