Your Admissions Checklist.

Acceptable Forms of Proof

  • Must include all:

    • A copy of original transcripts/diploma/grading sheets and/or other academic information (official transcripts required from Bangladesh, Haiti and Nepal) based on U.S. equivalency requirements for the issuing country.
    • A translation conducted by NACES-recognized translator or an embassy.
    • An official third-party evaluation conducted by a NACES member. (For assistance with a third-party evaluation, please contact a Strayer University campus.)
  • One of the following:

    • A score of 61 or better (undergraduate) or 79 or better (graduate) on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL).
    • A score of 5.5 or better (undergraduate) or 7.5 or better (graduate) on the International English Language Testing System (IELTS).
    • Proof of graduating from a college or high school where English is the primary mode of instruction.
    • Completing an ESL program at an institution that is recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
    • Completing an ESL program at a Strayer University-approved English Language School.
  • One of the following:

    • Sponsor's affidavit of annual cash support and proof of financial capability (dated no more than 6 months before the start of the quarter)
    • Sponsor's affidavit of free room and board and proof of financial capability (dated no more than 6 months before the start of the quarter)
    • An original copy of transcripts/diploma and/or other academic information.
    • If necessary, translation from a NACES-recognized translator or an embassy.
    • If necessary, an official third-party evaluation conducted by a NACES member. (For assistance with a third-party evaluation, please contact a Strayer University).
  • One of the following:

    • A 2.75 undergraduate grade point average on a 4.0 scale.
    • A minimum cumulative score of 450 on the Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT) taken within the last five years.
    • A minimum cumulative score of 1,000 Graduate Record Examination (GRE) taken within the past five years.
    • Other approved evidence of graduate potential.

The Visa Application Process.

  • Apply at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate with jurisdiction over your place of permanent residence. Although visa applicants may apply at any U.S. consular office abroad, it may be more difficult to qualify for the visa outside of your country of permanent residence.
  • Apply early! We recommend that you apply for your visa at least 30 days prior to the start date listed on your SEVIS Form I-20AB. For information about scheduling a visa appointment, and the types of student visas, please visit the U.S. Department of State's website.
  • Pay the $200 (USD) SEVIS fee. This fee can be paid online at the SEVIS Fee Payment information page.
  • Make an appointment for an interview at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate. You may have the option to make an appointment online or via phone.
  • Prior to your interview, gather your relevant papers, such as your I-20, financial papers and passport. Be prepared to discuss your educational plans, financial support and plans for returning to your home country. Visit the U.S. Department of State's website for more information about the visa interview.
  • If all requirements are met and approved, then the Consular Officer will issue you a F-1 student visa.

When you arrive in the U.S., the barcode on the I-20AB Form will be scanned. Your entry will be recorded. Upon arrival, you must provide the following documents to your home campus as soon as possible: a signed copy of your I-20AB form, a print out of the I-94 card, a copy of your passport and a copy of your VISA. Strayer University will provide regular electronic reports to USCIS throughout your academic career. Click here to get more information about SEVIS.

Your Admissions Officer can assist you with the F-1 visa application process and help prepare you for your visa interview.

Transferring to Strayer from Another College.

If you have an F-1 visa and want to transfer to Strayer University from another U.S. school, you must complete the admissions process within 60 days of your current program completion, or within 60 days of finishing your Optional Practical Training at their previous institution. Students may also choose to transfer to Strayer University during their program. Students are subject to the University's transfer credit policy and residency requirements.

If you do not follow this process, you will be required to apply for reinstatement with the USCIS. You will not be allowed to register for classes until you have completed the transfer process and are in possession of a Strayer University Form I-20AB.

You may be eligible to receive transfer credit or advanced standing in our degree programs based on your previous work. Talk to your Admissions Officer to get the required credit transfer and transfer paperwork.

If you are transferring from a school outside the U.S., any credits transferred will require an evaluation by a third-party international credential evaluator that is a member of NACES.

Common Questions From International Students.

  • Question:

    If I attend school in the U.S., how many classes do I need to take on campus?


    Undergraduate students are required to take three courses in a quarter, at least two of them at a campus; one can be taken online. Graduate students are required to take two courses in a quarter, one must be taken on campus.

  • Question

    What is the quarter system?


    Strayer University offers yearly enrollment using a quarter system. This means that a new session starts four times each year (winter, spring, summer, fall). Students may start taking courses during any quarter. Students are required to enroll in three consecutive quarters before taking a break in enrollment.

  • Question:

    What is a syllabus?


    At the beginning of each course, students will receive a syllabus. A syllabus is a course plan or outline that explains the requirements for the class. The syllabus usually lists the required textbooks, assigned readings, and the test or quiz schedule. Students are expected to complete all assignments listed in the syllabus.

  • Question

    How long does each course last?


    Strayer University runs on an 11-week quarter system. We also offer two mini-sessions per quarter. A mini-session is a class offered in a condensed, rigorous time frame. Each mini-session is approximately 5 weeks in length and most are offered online only.

  • Question:

    What are credit hours?


    Credit hours are a measurement assigned to each course. These credit hours add up to the total number of credits required for your degree. With very few exceptions, each undergraduate and graduate course at Strayer University is worth 4.5 quarter credit hours. This is equivalent to 3.0 semester hours of transfer credit at schools on a semester schedule.

  • Question

    What is my Grade Point Average (GPA)?


    Your GPA equals the number of quality points earned divided by the number of courses taken. A grade of "A" earns four quality points, "B" earns three quality points, "C" earns two quality points, "D" earns one quality point, and "F" earns zero quality points. Undergraduate students must maintain a cumulative GPA of 2.0, and graduate level students must maintain a cumulative GPA of 3.0. A comparison of grades to percentage and GPA grade points is below.

    Strayer Grading System and GPA

    Grade Explanation Grading Scale Quality Points
    A Excellent 90-100% 4.0
    B Good 80-89% 3.0
    C Average 70-79% 2.0
    D Below Average 60-69% 1.0
    F Failure 0-59% 0.0

Write Your Success Story.

Take Your Next Step

We’re here to help! Complete this form and a dedicated Admissions Officer will contact you shortly. Or call 888-311-0355 to talk to us now.

* All fields required

You must be an RN to enter the RN to BSN Program.

You consent to receive autodialed marketing calls or text from Strayer at the phone number you provided. Consent is not required to purchase goods or services. You can always call us at 866-314-3547.